Saturday, February 14, 2009

chocolate bowls with brownies, white chocolate mousse drizzle, and white chocolate and almond cream

I saw this recipe and thought it would be the perfect dessert for our Valentine's dinner. I made something like this once with white chocolate and muffin tins, but this was so much easier! You use a balloon to create the bowl shape. First, melt some chocolate slowly in a glass bowl, over a slightly simmering pan of water. I just used semi-sweet chocolate chips because that's what I had. I figured the dessert would be really sweet and the semi-sweet would be a nice balance.

Next, you take some balloons. The smallest I could find were 7 inches and I wish I could have found water balloon size. Oh well, I guess that's what I get in February. I actually rinsed the balloons out in the sink before I blew them up to get any powder or anything off them.

Then I blew them all up (I made 6, just in case some didn't turn out - and if they all did, I would have leftovers) to make sure they were about the same size. I didn't blow them up all the way, so they weren't perfectly round but it didn't matter.

Next, dip the balloons in the chocolate. I just did it once, but I suppose if you wanted it thicker you could do it again. *I didn't even eat my bowl because it was such a rich dessert - so I don't recommend this, I'm just saying you could.*

Next, set the balloon on waxed paper. I put mine in the fridge so they would set faster, but I don't recommend doing this. when I popped the balloons, they stuck to the chocolate so I had to wait until they were room temperature to peel the balloons out of the bowls. So either way is probably the same amount of time. So after they are set, pop the balloons. Be sure to wait long enough so the chocolate is set or else you'll have sprayed chocolate all over. (One of my balloons popped on its own just as I was setting it on the waxed paper, and it went everywhere).

Next, I filled my bowl with little brownie bites (about 1 inch squares) topped with the mousse and cream.


White Chocolate Mousse Drizzle and White Chocolate and Almond Cream

3 cups chilled whipping cream
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 pound good-quality white chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1. Bring 1 cup cream and butter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat. Add white chocolate and stir until smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Pour 1 1/2 cups white chocolate mixture into a small bowl; cover and freeze until cold, about 1 hour.

Let remaining white chocolate mixture in saucepan stand at room temperature until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.

2. Using electric mixer, beat remaining 2 cups cream and almond extract in large bowl until peaks form. Working in 3 batches, fold in lukewarm white chocolate mixture. Refrigerate whipped cream just until medium peaks hold, folding occasionally, about 3 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just wanted to let you know that I'm loving this blog - I always love a new recipe... keep sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think I've just found the dessert I'm going to make for Chris when he gets back from this next deployment!

    ReplyDelete